Thursday, May 24, 2007

Mom Being Vulnerable

I woke up this morning with a strong sense that I need to share my heart with you, our faithful supporters and prayer warriors.

Bill and I looked at a few models of ranch homes last week. I walked in one and "knew" that Dan needed this type of house. It was all open -- living, family, dining all spacious for Dan. (Other ranch houses we look at tend to have smaller rooms and narrow halls.) I dismissed my feeling as just being the fact that I probably wanted a new house, and because of financial concerns anyway.

We got back to RIC to see Dan and share with him about house hunting. He said to me, "Just make sure it's open so I can get my chair around." I almost started crying because of his sweet spirit of acceptance of his situation. There was no demanding in his face, just a realization of fact. I know that other quadriplegics live in not brand new ranch homes just fine, but it has recently hit us that unless the Lord frees Dan from being vent-dependent, he will not be free to go anywhere by himself. He won't be able to use public transportation alone. He will be home a lot. He loves change of scenery. As I mentioned a few days ago, we walk around the RIC hall just because he gets bored in his room. I long to make his environment as friendly and useful for him as possible. Since Dan's accident we have already learned how unimportant houses and material things are, and yet I so want Dan to be comfortable. I treasure your prayers for us in this decision-making process.

Thank you for listening to a Mom's honest heart. Bill is looking at a few homes and lots this week. We know that the Lord will direct our steps to just the right place for us. Dan will be released from RIC way before we have a new house ready, but we will make temporary changes in our current home until we get in the new house.

Please continue to pray for us as we embrace, not just hold on to at a distance, but embrace, our divinely assigned portion. I thought the burden would get lighter, but it's actually getting heavier, especially as we think about being home soon, without all the respiratory therapists nearby. God is faithful and He will never give us more than we can bear!

Thank you again for all the help fixing up our present house. It is absolutely beautiful. (Oh, that reminds me -- so many people have talked to us about Extreme Home Makeover. New sounds wonderful, but so many friends and family have put too much into our house to undo their hard work. I know that the Lord will bless the work of their hands. But thank you!)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying that God will supply *exactly* what you need for your family by way of a house. I know that He is faithful and that He has provided in the past and will continue to provide. I'll be excited to see how God has worked all of the details together for an open space floor plan for Dan and the family. I remember discussing with you Deb how unimportant the material things have become in life when going through a trial such as you are going through, so your heart is pure. Like you said, you just want the best for Dan, which is what any mother would want. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that and it is completely normal and more than that...it is practical, and I believe God understands your heart too. I will look forward to seeing how He provides for your family as you update us on the blog.
--Gayle Coakley 1 Peter 5:7 (my life verse)

Jane said...

Thank you for sharing your heart. Not easy for everyone to do, especially when you don't even have a face to place with the names of many of us.
God has made us to be relational... and these days, that means blogging together. God has made us family... the family of God's.

THE best house is out there, in a better location than you would have imagined. The layout will be great for Dan to move about. I am claiming this for your family! Know that as I am house hunting in SC, I am praying for your best home too!
Praying Jane

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your sharing. As I was reading this, a thought came to me, God had the house you would need picked out even before Dan had his accident. He knows your name, he knows your husband's name, he knows Dan's name. I am praying you will have absolute peace when you find the house that God has picked out for you.

In His Grace - Bev - Keizer, Oregon

Anonymous said...

Dear Debbie,
Your mother's heart touches us all but your daughter's heart of the King brings us to our knees. Your families testimonies challenge us all in our daily walks. Thank you for sharing and allowing us the priviledge of praying for your needs. God is working and drawing us all closer to him through this trail. God has his eye on Dan and your family because He says in his word from 2 Chronicles 16:9 "For the eyes of the Lord move to and fro throughout the earth that he may strongly support those whose heart is completely his." Praise the Lord that we can put our faith and trust in him for Dan's care and needs. Love in Christ,
Anna's Mom Ginnie from DC area

Amanda Martin said...

Praying

Anonymous said...

Deb,
Thanks for sharing your heart with us all. Our family has kept up with your journey through the blogsite and have had you in our prayers.

You first mentioned "embrassing your divine portion" in the hospital that day and it resounded again in the blog. That servants heart glowing through again.

I shared with you that day that God's message to me during our transition of ministry was "Do you trust me?" It was a revisiting of my life verses in Prov. 3:5-6 (I have since needed to add verses 7 & 8) Well, it still is the message but he has added yet another, possibly out of necessity. It is Psalm 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted amoung the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Only in my case it comes through in the Beth Moore style as "Would you just be still?!!" Being still is so hard, sometimes. But, his grace is sufficient....
You remain in our hearts and prayers and we will wait to see what God does to supply that perfect place of ministry for your family.
- Carol H.

Anonymous said...

Had trouble sleeping last night and just wanted to let you know that I was praying for you all throughout the night. I'm praying for all of the details with the house, the therapy, the wedding, etc. Oh, and speaking of therapy, Dan, you really are amazing, the way you are pushing so hard through these difficult milestones! Thanks so much for keeping us updated!

~A sister from Cedarville

Anonymous said...

WOW Dan look at you when you set your mind to somthing you go for it. Now you are out crusing the halls and going into the city that is wonderful. I am excited to see what else you have been doing when we return in a few weeks.Keep it up!!! Love Ya Phil 4:13

Anonymous said...

WOW, you continue to astonish me. Keep being an example to all of us reading of God's strength and grace that dwells within you. You are in our continual thoughts and prayers. I had thought about the Extreme Home Addition too, and we wouldn't have to hear you say God's name in vane every two seconds...instead PRAISE TO GOD. He knows the way HE will provide just the right home for you and we are praying and trusting in HIS provision!

Mike & MaryAnn, Washington State