Tuesday, July 10, 2007

'Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus

For a few weeks I have been mulling around in my mind about sharing with you how we are doing. Our family experienced God's presence in a special way at Jen's wedding, which was an incredible blessing, but we want you to know that we never stop hurting. The statement I have been sharing when people ask is that "It is too horrible to be true, but it's true, and it never goes away."

BUT, we do not despair. Psalm 27:13 I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

Bill and I went to church [Harvest Bible Chapel] again this past Sunday morning, together, for the second week in a row! Pastor Stowell's message was life to my soul! I would like it to be required listening for all of you readers!! (just click on the blue link)

We are allowed to complain to our God. It took me until May (accident was March 9) to be able to say to the Lord that I didn't like what He did. And you know what? He's big enough to handle my saying that, and He flooded me with His grace and the sweetness of His presence. He gave me rest again and new strength to face Dan's many issues.

  • Do we know that God is sovereign? Yes
  • Do we know that God is good? Yes
  • Do we like Dan being paralyzed? No
  • Will we say yes to that question some day? Maybe, maybe not until heaven
  • Do we doubt that God is working this out for good? Not at all -- we are able to face each day because we know that God has purpose.


Dan suffering a C1 & C2 spinal cord injury alone is so devastating. Why then, has he had to go through all the loss of weight and appetite, week-long high temperatures, plastic surgery, extra pressure sores AND blisters AND stomach aches AND severe headaches and worst of all, being vent-dependent in addition to the paralysis?

We don't have a clue.

It makes no sense to us, makes us sad and we cry over this often, but as Bill wrote earlier, "God's ways are higher that our ways".

God is worthy to be praised regardless of the circumstances.

Our worship service ended Sunday morning with us singing:

" 'tis so sweet to trust in Jesus . . .
just to rest upon His promise . . .
Oh, for grace to trust Him more
."

That's where we wish to live.


7 comments:

Josh Huff said...

It was such an encouragement to my heart to see your whole family at Jen's wedding. Your response (both Dan and the fam) to this trial has been a challenge to my heart to trust in God in all things. As I listen to "The Solid Rock" right now, I hope you are encouraged to stand firm on Christ alone, for "all other ground is sinking sand." I look forward to seeing what God will do through all of you and how He will bring glory to Himself because of this test. You are in our prayers. Keep the faith.

In Christ, Josh Huff & Fam

Jane said...

Thank you for this post... I will be listening to the message on Saturday. I only have two more days with Nikita since he goes back to Belarus on Friday.

Dan, how's the eating coming???

Lot's of prayers,
Jane

Anonymous said...

i appreciate your honesty here...thanks for pointing us to Jesus. Dan, i hope you feel God's peace right now. still praying...
wammer

Anonymous said...

We are praying for Dan and the family everyday! Thank you for being so specific so we now how to pray for you better. Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord! It may not be easy at times to understand why, but know that he will direct your path. God never makes promises that he can't keep!
Love to all.

Anonymous said...

I haven't written in a while but know I have prayed faithfully for you almost every day since this happened. It has to be so very hard to go through this. Somehow, in the major plan, this is right. We sure don't see how, right now, but God knows the outcome and the testimony this will be. He can trust you to go through this for His glory, or He would not have allowed you this honor to serve Him in this particular way. His sovreignty is way past what I can understand. Trust is the key. You are doing so well, even if you don't feel like it. We're still with you, you're not alone.

(P.S. Can't get it to take my ID below, but will send it as anonymous. Hope that works.)

Janni

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your honesty. You are such an example and encouragement to many of us - even more so as you share your struggles and pain.

We are praying for you often.
Tami

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your honesty! It helps so much to know how to pray for you! You would not be human if you did not struggle with some of these emotions, but I am always encouraged that despite what you feel, you continue to fix your eyes on Jesus Christ alone.

I was at the service last weekend at Harvest and I thought of your family often during Dr. Stowell's message. There truly are so many things about this life on earth that we will never understand, but we can certainly rest in His promises and know that there is always hope in Him. Praise God that this life on earth is NOT all there is!!

Love and prayers,
Nancy McD